Tea Drinking for Students (and other thoughts)

I am an emotional tea drinker. In the way that emotional eaters are drawn to the comforting scents and tastes of food, I am drawn to the aromas and feelings associated with a nice hot cup of tea. 

Over the last few years of my Undergraduate degree, I have turned to tea both for its calming effect (slowing me down via slow sipping) as well as its caffeine content – Alyson pointed out that it is the combination of caffeine and L-theanine in tea that creates a state of ‘restful awakeness’ often associated with tea, therefore keeping you awake and calm.

More recently, when schoolwork seems to have taken on the pace of a bullet train (midterms are imminent) I find myself reaching for my gaiwan and mid-oxidized oolongs. My go-to tea right now is a Quangzhou oolong or “milk oolong” that I got at a local teashop. I don’t think it’s very high quality, but it serves its purpose quite well. 

The other day I was feeling overwhelmed with schoolwork and was more than ready to throw in the towel. I vented my frustrations to my mom and she suggested I take a couple minutes to set up a personal teasesh and relax. Like most motherly advice, I took it and was not disappointed by the outcome. The first infusion was clumsy and not properly brewed because my mind was still in lab reports and essays. But, by the third infusion I found my movements becoming more fluid and deliberate. I began enjoying the flavours, scent and liquor colour. I settled into the tea and began to enjoy myself. Through this tea experience, I regained clarity of thought and was able to continue on with my work. 

Thank goodness for tea (and moms)!


Happy Sipping!


Brendan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About